The Sea and an Unwanted Awakening.
My bare feet dragged through the dawn grass, the dew gently washing my feet. I cross under the stone gate, sliding my fingers across the pillars on both sides of me. Far ahead, at the bottom of the long hill I could see the beach. The waves in the sea, though large, seemed only ripples lapping up against the large black rocks that pierced up through the waters. I hoist my satchel higher up on my shoulders and walk on.
Keeping my eyes steadily on the sea, my destination, I begin
wading through the tall grass, the beginning of which marked the end of my back
garden. I closed my eyes for a minute feeling the touch of the shifting grass
strands. I had no fear of tripping, I feel I’ve walked this path so many times.
I soon emerge at the other end of the waves of tall, thin
stalks and into a forest of flowers. I wonder if the wildflowers marvel up at me the way I marvel up at the Redwoods in the forest
my friend lives in. I held up the skirt of my dress and glide between each blossom
only allowing my feet to touch the soft, damp dirt so as not to ruin one of the
lovely things growing at my ankles.
Soon flowers gave way to sand, and I am finally at the
beach. My favorite rock is only a few feet away. Just beside a patch of Bluebonnets,
it is shaped like a sort of star and is big enough for me to lay across and
enjoy the sun beaming down on me. I quickly drop my satchel on it then run
to the sea.
I stop just short of the water then slowly slide my feet into it and let it wave over my
feet, ignoring the feeling of small pebbles between my toes. I take another
step in and feel the water wash around my ankles. I take another long stride even further
in, cooling my knees. Then I close my eyes and wade in till I only feel sand caressing
my feet and till the water is up to my waist. Then I pull my feet up and just
float there on my back.
There I lay on the water for I don’t know how long, eyes
closed, body still, resting on the surface of the sea. Taking it all in,
breathing the sea air, listening to the sweep of the water; the call of the seagulls
on the rocks; the titter of the animals in the flowers; the rush of the waves
of tall grass. I don’t want it to end, I want to stay here in—a blaring chorus
of beeps sounds next to my head and my eyes shoot open, staring at the ceiling of
my bedroom, my heart sinks—a dream.
Comments
Post a Comment